Friday, April 16, 2010

Rev. Dr. Ambrogio Eszer, O.P.

One of Rome's great Dominican legends has passed away, Fr. Ambrogio Eszer, O.P.

He was often seen at the Vatican and in Piazza Pio XII taking a taxi between there and the Angelicum, where he lived.

Fr. Ambrogio worked for the Congregation of the Causes of Saints and was always seen in his full Dominican habit with beret.  Professor of sacred theology and chaplain in Austria of the Knights of Malta he was a very holy man who did great work for Mother Church. 

He passed away in Germany on April 13, 2010.  Please pray for his soul.  He was a fine priest and a wonderful professor.  I took his photo many times.

As the legends age, who will replace them?

Requiem!

3 comments:

  1. Dear Mr Sonnen,

    I was unable to find an email address for you,so I am sending this in the comment box anonymously since I do not participate in blogs. Thank you very much for the notice about the great Fr Eszer. Would you be so kind as to publish any information you mmay have about his funeral arrangements or any other information about his death? I would be most appreciative and promise you a remembrance in my memento of the living. Your blog is great: a real tonic!

    ReplyDelete
  2. May his priestly soul rest in peace.
    Having seen a photo on another site, he looks a bit like the Dominican Father I and my priest friend had to see when we went looking for a glimpse of St Jean D'Arc's canonisation papers while in Rome in 02. He will be in my prayers.

    Rob

    ReplyDelete
  3. He was always a delight to run into at the courtayrd and halls of the Angelicum and at the Vatican. A true Dominican, Priest and Gentleman - even though I understand he suffered terribly under both the Nazis and Communists as a boy. He remained kind and gentle. I am truly saddened by this news but trust in the Providence of God. May I, may all of us, have a new intercessor in the Heavenly Kingdom. Requiescat in pace !

    ReplyDelete